If you have heard Google, then you must have heard about APM as well. For those who don’t know what APM is – APM or Application Performance Management is a kind of on-the-job training programme powered by Google which aims to monitor and manage the performance and availability of software applications by the role of the Google Associate Product Marketing Manager. Let us have a detailed journey on what exactly APM is and what is its importance.
What is Application Performance Management (APM)?
With the advance of the technology in every field, we have observed a considerable amount of change in the world of technology. For instance, the applications have been observed to evolve from the stand-alone applications to the ones supported by client-server applications. From the client-server, the applications advanced to the distributed applications and now finally in the present era, we are using the cloud-based flexible applications. With such advancements in the domain of the applications, there stands a great need for the APM or the Application Performance Management.
With the reference of APM, it is meant to refer to the management of the performance of the various kinds of applications which will determine the optimality of each application in terms of their normal functioning or whether they are behaving in an abnormal manner. With the use of the platform of APM (Application Performance Management), even if something goes and an application starts behaving abnormally, the participants or the trainees go to the root of the cause of the problem and then try to resolve the same.
The on-the-job trainees of the Google’s APM with the role of the Google Associate Product Marketing Manager observe the monitor the following parameters with respect to the monitoring and the management of the APM (Applications Performance Management):
- The hardware on which a particular application is running.
- The virtual machines which are being used to operate or run the applications.
- The JVM upon which a particular application environment is being hosted.
- The application server or the container or the web container which is used to run the application.
- The personal behavior and the characteristic traits of the application itself.
- The infrastructure supporting the particular applications including the databases, network communications, caches, legacy systems, external web services and much more.
Once the performance metrics or parameters have been collected and analyzed through the above-mentioned information regarding the application which s behaving in an abnormal manner, the next step is to correlate and interpret the information with respect to the impact these will have on a particular business transaction connected with the particular application(s). This is the place and time where the actual role of the APM (Applications Performance Management) kicks in. Google employs the APM trainees who have expertise in different technologies such that they are able to understand the meaning of the performance metrics and thus are able to aggregate the metrics into a holistic view of the application.
Importance of the APM (Application Performance Management):
With the help of an APM solution, the users are initially alerted of the particular application(s) which is behaving in an abnormal manner. However, if in any case, there is the absence of the APM solutions, the users can follow these options:
- Building of synthetic transactions: By synthetic transaction, it is referred to a transaction that is usually executed against the functioning of the application. It is used to measure the performance of a particular application. By analyzing the complexity of the application, a small program can be built with much ease which can call a service and even validates the response.
- Manual instrumentation: With this feature, the users can add performance monitoring code to their application directly which can be then recorded or stored somewhere in a database or some file system.
- Connecting to the customer care support unit: It calls for the searching of APM solutions by connecting to the customer care support unit and asking for relevant solutions to the problem.
After the APM solutions have been identified, then comes the stage of searching and analyzing the root cause of the abnormal behavior of the particular application. If again, there are no APM solutions, the users can do the following:
- Review and analyze the runtime logs
- Reproduction of the problem in a development or test environment
The runtime logs or the files are sources of information which are used to identify the root cause of the problems or the functional defects in a particular application. This is done by collecting the traces of the exception stack. But if there are no exceptions experienced in the performance issues, these could only lead to additional confusion.
In an alternative method, the trainees of the Google’s APM team are asked to reproduce the entire problem in a test environment. With the ability to reproduce the problem in a development or test environment, the roots cause of the problem is easier to be identified and then resolved at the same time.
Google’s APM (Applications Performance Management) is aimed at training the individuals of the programme with the role of the Google Associate Product Marketing Manager to understand the behavior of certain applications. Upon this knowledge, they can detect the problems encountered during the functioning of the various application(s) before these problems hamper the performance of the entire system. After the problems have been detected with particular applications, the trainees are then expected to resolve the problems as well so as to bring stability to the entire system.
If taken on the pretext of a business environment, APM solution is vital as it tends to reduce the MTTR (Mean Time To Resolution). By this, it is meant that the performance issues in the functioning of any application are identified and resolved quite rapidly and in an efficient manner such that the adverse impact it would have caused to the overall functioning of the business system gets reduced to the bottom line.
APM usually calls for the collection, interpretation and analysis of the performance metrics to inform the users about the abnormal applications within a system such that these can be resolved to ensure the normal functioning of the overall system.