If you have not been living under a rock so far, you obviously must have heard about SEO and SMO. The first term stands for Search Engine Optimization while SMO Meaning is Social Media Optimization. Both these factors are very important when you want to increase the traffic to a website. The most important question that arises here is what is the difference between these two terms? Let’s find out.
Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization or SEO is a set of techniques that aims at getting the maximum traffic to your website. This technique involves making a website as structured as possible so that the search engines find it easy to understand your content. Optimizing your website according to search engines helps you in getting the maximum traffic and improving your website’s rank.
Aspects of SEO-
- It increases your traffic through search engines.
- It involves selecting and using the proper keywords.
- It needs you to get technical and optimize everything from HTML to backend coding.
- This technique is the most-used tool to increase the rankings of a website.
- It brings traffic as well as backlinks to your website.
- Search engines like Google, Yahoo, AOL, Bing, Alexa, Network18, Yellow Pages, Baidu etc can get affected by it.
- The traffic that comes for this type of optimization is targeted; they know what they are looking for.
- It helps you in building a good authority and increasing the trust of your visitors, but it is going to take some time.
Social Media Optimization
Social Media Optimization or SMO is the process of creating awareness about your website, product or brand with the help of various social media platforms. Remember, SMO is a part of SEO in many ways. It makes use of everything from RSS feeds, Facebook profile, Twitter profile to YouTube to get your website the maximum publicity. Optimizing your website according to social media platforms helps you to build a wide audience.
Aspects of SMO-
- It increases your traffic through social media sites.
- It involves creating content that can be shared on various platforms.
- It doesn’t involve any major technical work.
- This technique is just another tool that aims at achieving better search engine results.
- It brings traffic, publicity and also gets you many advertisements.
- The major social networking sites that are involved are Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Myspace, Google+, Tumblr and much
- The traffic that comes from this type of optimization can either be very high or very low. It all depends on the kind of content.
- This technique helps you get success in a matter of days. You don’t need to focus on building trust.
Major Differences between SEO and SMO meaning
Search Engine Optimization and Social Media Optimization are two great ways of getting the most traffic into your website and building a good presence on the Internet. But there are a lot of differences between the two types of optimizations. Check out the differences-
Search Engine Optimization needs you to take care of various things from the structure of your website, meta descriptions, tags, coding, HTML, alt tags, headers and so many other things. Not every man can take care of search engine optimization; you need to do a lot of reading and research. On the other hand, Social Media Optimization is mainly focused on the content you have on your web page. The content needs to be shareable and your work is done. Further, you need to make your official pages on the various major social media platforms and you are good to go.
The major goal of search engine optimization is increasing the traffic to your website through various search engines. On the other hand, the major goal of social media optimization is increasing the recognition of your website and increasing the popularity of your brand.
The traffic that gets directed to your website through search engine optimization is very steady. Once the visitor likes what he sees, there are many chances of him coming back regularly. While the traffic generated via social media optimization is less steady. You will need to update your content regularly to draw traffic regularly through social media. This is not the case for search engines.
Search engine optimization is not much dependent on networking while social media optimization is completely dependent on networking. SMO MEANING is clearer when you do a lot of networking and create a strong profile.
In order to get the better benefits from search engine results, you will have to modify your website in many ways. There are a large number of set guidelines that you need to follow to increase your rankings. If you have better rankings, your website will appear higher on search engines and thus you will get higher traffic. On the other hand, getting attention on social media does not need many modifications. You just need a catchy title and quality content to create publicity and attract traffic.
Search Engine Optimization has been in the game for a long time while social media optimization is a new player in the market. The main focus of all the webmasters is on getting better rankings, having a good following on social media is often their secondary focus. But with time, people have come to realize that doing proper marketing on social media is as important as getting your keywords right. If you ask a search engine expert now, he will definitely recommend taking care of social media as well.
In conclusion, we would like to say that both the types of optimizations are two different ways to the same means and they both come under the category of Internet Marketing. If you focus on getting the maximum social media attention, your search engine results will definitely get benefitted. But it is not the other way around. If you have a new product or website, you may want to focus more on SMO initially. It is the easier way of getting attention. Both these optimizations work together closely.